Title - Professor, Tropical Fruit Crop Specialist, and Associate Center Director
Department - Horticultural Sciences
Specialty - Tropical Fruit Crops
Telephone - 305-246-7001 Ext. 290
E-mail - email@example.com
Web site - http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/crane
- Ph.D., 1987: University of Florida, Gainesville, FL -- Horticultural Science, Soil Microbiology (minor)
- M.S., 1984: University of Florida, Gainesville, FL -- Horticultural Science
- B.S., 1981: Oregon State University -- Horticultural Science
- Professor (7/2002 to present), University of Florida
- Associate Professor (11/95 to 6/2002), University of Florida
- Assistant Professor (09/89 to 10/95), University of Florida
- Multi-County Tropical Fruit Crops Extension Agent II (10/87 to 08/89), University of Florida
- 60% Extension
- 15% Research
- 10% Teaching
- 15% Administrative
Areas of Expertise
- Tropical fruit production
- Tropical fruit environmental physiology
- Transgenic resistance to ringspot virus in papaya for the Caribbean region. PIs: M.J. Davis and J.H. Crane
- Extending Postharvest Quality to Increase the Competitiveness of Exotic Tropical Fruits and Greenhouse-Grown Vegetables in the Caribbean Region. PIs: S.A. Sargent, D.J. Huber, J.A. Bartz, J.H. Crane, and D.J. Cantliffe.
- Foliar Acid Applications to Prevent Iron Deficiency in Tropical Fruit Crops Grown in Calcareous Soils. PIs: B. Schaffer, Y. Li, J.H. Crane and E. Evans.
- Improving Water Quality at the Watershed Level by Targeting High-Return Stakeholders. PIs: K.L. White-Migliaccio, J.H. Crane, Y. Li, E. Evans, and B. Schaffer.
- Improving irrigation management of papaya. PIs: F.S. Davies, B. Schaffer, K.L. White-Migliaccio, and J.H. Crane.
- Registration of pesticides for tropical fruit crops. PIs: J.H. Crane and O. Rodriguez.
Awards & Recognitions
- Seymour Goldweber Distinguished Extension Professional Enhancement Award. 2007. Univ. of Fla., IFAS, Office of the Dean for Extension.
- Best Paper Award, Krome Memorial Section. 2003, 2004, and 2005. Florida State Horticultural Society.
- Outstanding Extension Educator. 2004. American Soc. Horticultural Science.
- Florida State Horticulture Society Best Paper Award. 2001. For best paper published in the Krome Memorial Section of the 2000 Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society. Authors: George, H.L., J.H. Crane, B. Schaffer, Y. Li, and F. Davies.
- Florida State Horticulture Society Presidential Gold Metal Award. 2000. For outstanding publications in the Krome Memorial Section during the past six years in the Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society.
- Florida State Horticulture Society Best Paper Award. 1994. For best paper published in the Krome Memorial Section of the 1993 Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society. Authors: Crane, J.H., C.F. Balerdi, and R.J. Campbell.