Title - Assistant Professor
Department - Plant Pathology
Specialty - Vegetable Plant Pathology
Telephone - 305-246-7001 Ext. 213
E-mail - email@example.com
- Ph.D. Plant Pathology, Auburn University, Auburn, AL
- M.S. Plant Pathology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China.
- B.S. Plant Pathology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China.
- Assistant Professor (11/2007- present), University of Florida, IFAS, Tropical Research & Education Center, Homestead, FL
- Postdoctoral Scholar (3/2005–10/2007), Kentucky Tobacco Research & Development Center, Plant Pathology Department, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Visiting Scientist (10/2002–3/2005), National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, USDA-ARS, Peoria, IL through Department of Plant Pathology, Ohio State University
- Postdoctoral Research Associate (10/2000-9/2002), Department of Plant Pathology & Microbiology, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX
- Graduate Research Assistant (9/1996-9/2000), Department of Entomology & Plant Pathology, Auburn University, AL
- 60% Research
- 40% Extension
Areas of Expertise
- Vegetable Plant Pathology
- Plant Disease Diagnostics
- Integrated Pest Management
Referred Journal Articles
- Mersha, Z., S. Zhang, Y. Fu, X. Mo, R. N. Raid, and B. Hau. 2012. Efficacy of acibenzolar-S-methyl and β-aminobutyric acid for control of downy mildew in greenhouse grown basil and peroxidase activity in response to treatment with these compounds. Journal of Phytopathology. (in revision)
- Ali, A., O. Abdalla, B. Bruton., W. Fish., E. Sikora, S. Zhang, and M. Taylor. 2012. Occurrence of viruses infecting watermelon, other cucurbits and weeds in the parts of southern United States. Online. Pant Health Progress. DOI: 10.1094/PHP-2012-0824-01-RS.
- Mersha, Z., S. Zhang, and Y. Fu. 2012. First report of black leg caused by Plectosphaerella cucumerina on greenhouse grown basil in Florida. Plant Disease 96: 1382.
- Zhang, S., M. Gao, and D. Zaitlin. 2012. Molecular linkage mapping and marker-trait associations with NlRPT, a downy mildew resistance gene in Nicotiana langsdorffii. Frontiers in Plant Science 3: 185. DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2012.00185.
- Tan, G.-Y., Z.-L. Yuan, Z.-L. Yang, and S. Zhang. 2012. First report of Alternaria longipes causing leaf spots on Atractylodes macrocephala in China. Plant Disease 96: 588.
- Mersha, Z., S. Zhang, and R. N. Raid. 2012. Evaluation of systemic acquired resistance inducers for control of downy mildew on basil. Crop Protection 40: 83-90.
- Liao, X., Y. Fu, S. Zhang, and Y. P. Duan. 2012. First report of damping-off on Basella rubra caused by Rhizoctonia solani anastomosis group 4 in Florida. Plant Disease 96: 288.
- Huang, C. -H., G. E. Vallad, S. Zhang, B. Balogh, A. Wen, J. F. L. Figueiredo, F. Behlau, J. B. Jones, M. T. Momol, and S. M. Olson. 2012. Effect of application frequency and reduced rates of acibenzolar-S-methyl on the field efficacy of induced resistance against bacterial spot on tomato. Plant Disease 96: 221-227.
- Zhang, S., Y. Fu, Z. Mersha, X. Mo, and A. J. Palmateer. 2011. First report of a leaf spot on Basella alba caused by a Bipolaris sp. in Florida. Plant Disease 95: 880.
- Zhang, S., G. E. Vallad, T. L. White, and C. -H. Huang. 2011. Evaluation of microbial products for management of powdery mildew on summer squash and cantaloupe in Florida. Plant Disease 95: 461-468.
- Zhang, S., W. Klassen, X. Mo, P. Ji, and A. J. Gevens. 2011. Evaluation of acibenzolar-S-methyl and silicic acid for control of Phytophthora blight in squash caused by Phytophthora capsici. Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society 124: 154-161.
- Wang, Q., S. Zhang, Y. Li, and W. Klassen. 2011. Potential approaches to improving biodegradation of hydrocarbons for bioremediation of crude oil pollution. Journal of Environmental Protection 2: 47-55.
- Kumar, V., D. R. Seal, D. Schuster, C. McKenzie, L. Osborne, J. Maruniak, and S. Zhang. 2011. Scirtothrips dorsalis (Thysanoptera: Thripidae): Scanning electron micrographs of key taxonomic traits and a preliminary morphometric analysis of the general morphology of populations of different continents. Florida Entomologist 94: 941-955.
- Ojiambo, P. S., G. J. Holmes, W. Britton, T. Keever, M. L. Adams, M. Babadoost, S. C. Bost, R. Boyles, M. Brooks, J. Damicone, D. S. Egel, K. L. Everts, D. M. Ferrin, A. J. Given, B. K. Gugino, M. K. Hausbeck, D. M. Ingram, T. Isakeit, A. P. Keinath, D. Langston, M. T. McGrath, S. A. Miller, R. Mulrooney, S. Rideout, E. Roddy, K. W. Seebold, E. J. Sikora, A. Thornton, R. L. Wick, C. A. Wyenandt, and S. Zhang. 2011. Cucurbit downy mildew ipmPIPE: a next generation web-based interactive tool for disease management and extension outreach. Online. Plant Health Progress. DOI: 10.1094/ PHP-2011-0411-01-RV.
- Zhang, S., T. L. White, M. C. Martinez, J. A. McInroy, J. W. Kloepper, and W. Klassen. 2010. Evaluation of plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria for control of Phytophthora blight on squash under greenhouse conditions. Biological Control 53: 129-135.
- Zhang, S., and D. Zaitlin. 2008. Genetic resistance against Peronospora tabacina in Nicotiana langsdorffii, a South American wild tobacco. Phytopathology 98: 519-528.
- Zhang, S., D. A. Schisler, M. J. Boehm, and P. J. Slininger. 2007. Utilization of chemical inducers of resistance and Cryptococcus flavescens OH 182.9 to reduce Fusarium head blight under greenhouse conditions. Biological Control 42: 308-315.
- Schisler, D. A., N. I. Khan, M. J. Boehm, P. E. Lipps, P. J. Slininger, and S. Zhang. 2006. Selection and evaluation of the potential of choline-metabolizing microbial strains to reduce Fusarium head blight. Biological Control 39: 497-506.
- Zhang, S., D. A. Schisler, M. A. Jackson, M. J. Boehm, P. J. Slininger, and Z. Liu. 2006. Cold shock during liquid production increases storage shelf-life of Cryptococcus nodaensis OH 182.9 after air-drying. Biocontrol Science & Technology 16: 281-293.
- Zhang, S., D. A. Schisler, M. J. Boehm, and P. J. Slininger. 2005. Carbon-to-nitrogen ratio and carbon loading of production media influence freeze drying survival and biocontrol efficacy of Cryptococcus nodaensis OH 182.9. Phytopathology 95: 626-631.
- Zhang, S., and G. W. Sundin. 2004. Mutagenic DNA repair potential in Pseudomonas spp. and characterization of the rulABPC operon from the highly mutable strain P. cichorii 302959. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 50: 29-39.
- Kloepper, J. W., C. M. Ryu, and S. Zhang. 2004. Induced systemic resistance and promotion of plant growth by Bacillus spp. Phytopathology 94: 1259-1266. (invited review)
- Zhang, S., and G. W. Sundin. 2004. Long-term effect of mutagenic DNA repair on the accumulation of mutations in Pseudomonas syringae B86-17. Journal of Bacteriology 186: 7807-7810.
- Zhang, S., M. S. Reddy, and J. W. Kloepper. 2004. Tobacco growth enhancement and blue mold disease protection by rhizobacteria:Relationship between plant growth promotion and systemic protection by PGPR strain 90-166. Plant & Soil 262: 277-288.
- Zhang, S., A. L. Moyne, M. S. Reddy, and J. W. Kloepper. 2002. The role of salicylic acid in induced systemic resistance elicited by plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria against blue mold of tobacco. Biological Control 25: 288-296.
- Zhang, S., M. S. Reddy, and J. W. Kloepper. 2002. Development of assays for assessing induced systemic resistance by plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria against blue mold of tobacco. Biological Control 23: 79-86.
- Zhang, S., M. S. Reddy, N. Kokalis-Burelle, L. W. Wells, S. P. Nightengale, and J. W. Kloepper. 2001. Lack of induced systemic resistance in peanut to late leaf spot disease by plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria and chemical elicitors. Plant Disease 85: 879-884.