Dr. Trent Blare
Assistant Professor — Food and Resource Economics Department
Dr. Trent Blare is an Assistant Professor in the Food and Resource Economics Department at the University of Florida. Prior to joining the Tropical Research & Education Center (TREC), Trent was a Markets and Value Chain Specialist in the CGIAR international agricultural research system for six years with the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) in Lima, Peru and the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) in Texcoco, Mexico. Dr. Blare graduated with his Ph.D. in Food in Resource Economics from the University of Florida in 2014.
Dr. Blare’s extension and research program is comprised of two components. The first examines the potential for south Florida growers to expand their current markets and gain access to new ones for fruits, vegetables, and ornamental plants. He applies innovative behavioral economic techniques and experiments to determine consumers interest in these agricultural products. He uses the evidence from this research to work closely with growers, extension agents, processors, retailers, consumers, and regulators in developing supply chains for these goods.
The second area of Dr. Blare’s program uses non-market valuation methods to place a dollar value on south Florida’s natural resources such as waterways, protected areas, and clean air, that inherently do not have a market value. Establishing these values for natural resources assists decision makers, regulators, and administrators in determining where to focus their efforts and demonstrates the importance of these natural resources to natural resources users and other stakeholders.
- Certificados y Etiquetas: Diferencias y estrategias de mercadeo agríicola (en colaboración con UF/IFAS Café Latino)
- En la Unión Esta la Fuerza: La Ventaja de las Colaboraciones entre Agricultores (en colaboración con UF/IFAS Café Latino)
- B.S. Agricultural Economics, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, 2004
- M.S. Food and Resource Economics, University of Florida, 2010
- Ph.D. Food and Resource Economics, University of Florida, 2014
Awards and Honors
- Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Latin America Section Secretary/Treasurer 2020-2023
- UF IFAS Food and Research Economics Department, Best Masters’ Thesis, 2010