The University of Florida, Tropical Research and Education Center (UF/IFAS TREC) was established in 1929 by an act of the state legislature in Miami-Dade County on land donated by the Krome family and Mr. Charles E. Schaff. Originally named the Subtropical Experiment Station, UF/IFAS is dedicated to research, extension and teaching in the areas of ornamental, vegetable, and tropical-subtropical fruit and biofuel crops, and natural resources. UF/IFAS has 160 acres of land. The agricultural industry served by the center has an annual farm gate value in excess of $800 million with an annual economic impact on the local economy of over $1 billion.
UF/IFAS is the premier research, extension and teaching institution in Florida focusing on tropical fruits, vegetables, ornamental crops, and natural resources in the warm subtropics. The core programs are divided into four main categories: 1) tropial fruit crops, 2) vegetable crops, 3) ornamental crops, and 4) natural resources.
UF/IFAS is one of 12 centers which are part of UF-IFAS. The Center is located 25°S latitude and 80.4°W longitude, along the southeastern coast of Florida approximately 30 miles south of Miami. Surrounded by water on 3 sides, South Florida's climate is marine subtropical with a mean annual temperature of 23.4°C, and a mean annual rainfall of 1650 mm with a wet season from late May to October. Geographically and climatically, South Florida is part of the Caribbean Region with close proximity to Latin America. Due to the unique geographic location and climate, UF/IFAS offers the University of Florida an opportunity to have an impact well beyond the continental United States.
- Map & Directions
Traveling South on the Florida Turnpike or US 1, turn west at Biscayne Drive (SW 288th St.) -- about 2 miles. Turn right (north) at Redland Road (SW 187th Ave), approximately one block north turn left at Waldin Drive (SW 280th St). The Center will be 0.25 mile west on the right. Look for the University of Florida, Institute of Food & Agricultural Sciences on the north side of the road. This is the entrance to the visitor's parking lot in front of the administration building. Please sign-in at the Administration Building upon arrival.